Central Florida’s popular grassroots wakesurf series is back. Debuting in its second year, the Thigh High Surf Series is combining with Performance Ski & Surf’s Gravel Tour to bring Central Florida a weekend of grassroots wake sports contests. Now named the Thigh High Surf + Wake Series, wakesurf and wakeboard divisions will compete together across the new two-day format for each stop.
“The Thigh High Surf + Wake Series is an action-packed weekend of fun for the entire family. Whether your family surfs, wakeboards, or both, we are excited to combine all the action into a two-day grassroots event, built on the success of both the Gravel Tour and the Thigh High Surf Series,” said Harf, a four-time X-Games gold medalist and wakeboard legend. “Our participants like to do it all and this is the future of our sport!”
The goal of the Thigh High Surf + Wake Series is to identify local novice and established surfers & wakeboarders in the region while giving them a platform to demonstrate their skills and build confidence in competitions.
Bill Porter, Performance Ski & Surf CEO & founder and Wakeboarding Hall of Fame inductee, said, “For the past two and a half decades of organizing contests, I start each season by asking myself a simple question: How can we make our contests better and more fun for riders and their families? Going into 2021, I asked this question to the Thigh High Surf team and immediately we knew the answer: join forces and create something truly amazing by blending the best of the two premier Central Florida grassroots wake events. Together, we’re bringing the local community a special experience – get ready for some great times on the water.”
2021 Series Overview
The 2021 Thigh High Surf + Wake Series will take place:
- Stop 1: April 24-25 at the Orlando Watersports Complex (OWC), located at 8615 Florida Rock Road in Orlando – Check out pop-up vendor shops, an immersive on-site Performance Ski & Surf store, food trucks, activities, Duncan Yo-Yo demonstrators, live music and cable riding at OWC.
- Stop 2: June 5-6 at OWC – Returning to OWC with a whole new batch of activities, live music and food, along with a roped off Thigh High Swim Area filled with Radar inflatables and the chance to earn a Wake Responsibly badge from the Water Sports Industry Association (WSIA).
- Stop 3 (Series Final): Aug. 7-8 at Lake Ronix in Christmas, Florida – Ronix opens the doors to its elusive property to let Thigh High Surf + Wake competitors take the water on one of the site’s private lakes. Families can enjoy the lake’s white sandy beaches, an obstacle course set-up from Union Aquaparks, live music and activities to match the tropical vibe.
“We have sold a record number of new and used boats over the past year and have new families anxious to get on the water and show their new skills at our grassroots events. We’re excited to bring Thigh High back in 2021 and merge with Gravel Tour,” said Nautiques of Orlando Owner and General Manager Jeff Husby. “Performance Ski & Surf and Nautiques of Orlando are thrilled to be leading the way in Central Florida.”
Divisions and Registration
There are only 40 wakesurf and 40 wakeboard spots available for the initial stop. Those interested in competing can sign up for an individual stop or the full season at thighhighsurf.com/register.
The grassroots contest series caters to riders of all ages & wake abilities, seeking everyone from first-time, novice competitors to local lake legends with a variety of divisions available:
- Wakesurf Divisions: Novice (9 and under), Novice (10 years and older), Intermediate (all ages), Advanced (all ages), Open Men (all ages), Open Women (all ages), Men Legends (ages 35+), Women Legends (ages 35+), Tandem and Foil.
- Wakeboard Divisions: Grom Girls (9 and under), Grom Boys (9 and under), Girls (ages 10-13, all skill levels), Boys (ages 10-13, all skill levels), Novice (10 years and older), Intermediate (all ages), Advanced (all ages), Open (all ages), Women Legends (ages 35+, all skill levels) and Men Legends (ages 35+, all skill levels).
Unless noted, several categories will be mixed with both male and female athletes competing together. Click here for a complete overview of each division. If a competitor needs help determining the best division for their skill level, contact the Thigh High Surf + Wake team at [email protected].
Series Support and More Information
A common focus among Thigh High Surf + Wake Series sponsors is supporting the growth of towed water sports, building the community and promoting education on safety and etiquette, based on the Wake Responsibly initiative. Initial series sponsors and supporting partners include: Nautiques of Orlando, Performance Ski & Surf, Nautique, Ronix, Aktion Parks, Orlando Watersports Complex, Water Sports Industry Association, Wake Responsibly, Ride Dry. Drive Dry., The World Wake Association, SeaDek Marine Products, Next Level Audio & Marine, Roswell Marine, Mid-Coast Customs, PCM Marine Engines, GM Marine Engine Technology and Duncan Toys.
For more information and to register for the entire series or a single stop, visit thighhighwake.com.
About Nautiques of Orlando
Central Florida’s premier dealership representing Regal, Nautique, Supreme and Moomba Boats. Nautiques of Orlando has been named one of the Top 100 Dealers in North America for the past nine consecutive years by Boating Industry and ranked No. 3 in North America in 2020. The dealership also recently earned one of the Industry Best Places to Work in 2020 and 2019. Nautiques of Orlando is centrally located in the Heart of Orlando at 2226 Paseo Ave. They boast a large inventory of new and preowned boats along with parts and an award-winning service department. The premium hometown dealership is one of the industry’s most educated and trained professional teams. For more information, visit orlandoboats.com.
About Performance Ski & Surf
Performance Ski & Surf is the World’s leading waterski and wakeboard pro shop. Located across from the Florida Mall at 1355 Sand Lake Road in Orlando, the shop earned the Water Sports Industry Association’s (WSIA) Retailer of the Year eight times and continues to thrive as one of the main retail destinations for towed water sport athletes from all over the world. Performance Ski & Surf was founded in 1989 by Bill Porter, who was inducted into the Wakeboarding Hall of Fame in 2018 for the contributions he has made to the towed water sports industry and impact he has had on the sport. Most notably, along with water sports industry legend Herb O’Brien, he co-founded the Gravel Tour, a Central Florida grassroots wakeboard series that has fostered the growth of wakeboarding as a breeding ground for new and emerging talent. Numerous Gravel Tour competitors have gone on to become current and former pro wakeboarders. For more information, visit perfski.com or reach the store at 407-859-7544. The Pro Shop is open Monday through Saturday from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.