The Raley is one of the core skills on both cable and boat, and there is a lot you can teach yourself if you have a solid Raley down. The Raley really teaches a rider how to use the tension of the rope and the speed you generate to control yourself in the air. A Raley is the basis of all the technical maneuvers you can learn in the future.
1. As the carrier rounds the corner, wait just a second before you start your progressive edge. You want to use a progressive edge, because it builds speed and tension in the line in the most beneficiary way to the rider. Start out edging softly and easy, then cut harder the further and longer you edge. Also, try to keep the handle in toward the lower part of your chest.
2. As you begin to feel that you are cutting very hard (the end of your progressive edge), you will sense that the line is getting very tight. This line tension is where you will get your pop.
3. To start your pop, push off of your front foot and let the cable start to swing you outwards. Don’t let your arms out yet at this point. This should feel similar to the second half of a rope swing.
4. As the cable starts to swing you outwards even more, stay loose with your body and keep your head up and looking in front of you.
5. As you start to extend you body outwards in the Raley form, let your legs stretch and fold back. Also, start letting your arms out straight in front of your chest.
6. At this point you are in the full Raley position and are ready for decent. Continue to keep your head up with your eyes looking straight in front of you. Start to pull in on the handle so that it will begin to bring your legs back down.
7. As you descend, try to bring the handle towards your hips, which will help bring your legs back underneath you.
8. Now that your board is underneath you, glace down at the water to check where you will land. As always, continue to keep your head up and your knees soft, so you can absorb the landing just like a back roll.
9. Once you touch the water, rock your weight on to your heels so that you can follow through with a smooth landing and be back on edge and in control.